What do cards have in common with the Big Bang Theory?

Copyright © 2009 Kate Harper

Last Tuesday I had the opportunity to watch the filming of the Big Bang Theory TV comedy at the Warner Brothers studio in Burbank, California.

Being about 20 feet from a stage set with about a hundred people swarming around 5 actors was something I'd never experienced before, and found quite fascinating.

Everywhere I looked I saw art. The colors and angles of the set, the choice of clothing, placement of items on a desk, and people running on stage for 4 seconds just to adjust an angle of a scarf. When a new scene started in a different section of the stage, the entire crew ran to that section like a ballet troupe, in perfect alignment as if they'd practiced jumping over cables and rolling heavy cameras in unison for their entire lives.

I also was quite moved to see actors I've admired, in front of me, performing their art. What made me so respectful of their skills were not just their words, but their facial expressions, body motions and pausing between words. It looked like a very challenging and yet rewarding skill.

But what really surprised me is their reshooting of several scenes with different lines, to see what line got the biggest laughs. When something didn't work, the scene was cut; people ran on the stage, rewrote a line and tried something new. I do the same with cards. I offer several versions of the same text, and often have customers choose which version they like best before committing to a design. Writing is a true art, and you just never know what single word will turn a smile into a laugh.

I was humbled when attending this filming, knowing that most of these actors came out of nowhere and got their parts by attending a "cattle call" of auditions. One thing that drew me to this comedy in the first place, is that one lead actor, playing the role of an astrophysicist, is from India. You rarely see Indian actors playing lead roles on U.S. Television. This brought a fresh flavor to what could have been a formulaic comedy. How was he chosen for this role? I don't know. But I believe he did what we all need to do, even in the card business: Use all your skills to create a good product, and then you will stand out, even among the stars.

So, give it your best, do your homework and enjoy the process - eventually you will succeed. That's the big bang of cards too, and it's not just a theory.


-Kate

(photo credit CBS ign.com)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate,

Thanks for sharing this beautifully insightful piece!

This is honestly one of my favorite shows. It's a rare thing when a story line, the writing, set, and actors come together as brilliantly as this. I can compare this to a piece of artwork. It's rare when a subject, layout, and color come together so beautifully. If one thing is off, it brings down the value. It's identical to what you are saying with your cards. It's a recipe. The Big Bang Theory definitely has it!

Sue Duda said...

Great analogy Kate! I enjoyed the idea of comparing the process of film making to designing art, both involving the creative process.

As you stated, "knowing that most of these actors came out of nowhere and got their parts by attending a "cattle call" of auditions" was a hopeful message to me, with my goals related to art licensing.

Also as you stated, "So, give it your best, do your homework and enjoy the process - eventually you will succeed. That's the big bang of cards too, and it's not just a theory."

Again, thanks for your hopeful message!

With appreciation,

Sue Duda http://www.suedudadesigns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Kate-how on earth did you get tickets? I live in So Cal and have been going to the web site daily and there are NEVER any tickets posted. Any pointers? I'd really like to take my boyfriend for his birthday in January, he's an ultimate fan! Thanks!

Kate Harper said...

You have to go online everyday around 8 am at their site (where they give away tickets) and try to see if they are available. Sometimes people cancel and they pop up.

Anonymous said...

have a nice day.

take care

itstime2enjoy.blogspot.com