Photoshop Tip: How to create a customized signature brush

Check out this article on Joan Beiriger's Art Licensing Blog. This is only an excerpt...to read entire article go to her blog post.

As you know, it is important to sign your artwork with a copyright symbol in order to protect it. But the signature is often lost when art is manipulate in Photoshop while creating patterns and derivatives of the art. Of course, a copyright symbol and artist name can be typed and placed on the art but I think it is better to use your own unique signature. One method to do that is to write your signature in a Photoshop file and create a brush of it. A signature brush can be easily reused, re-sized, the color changed, and can be placed anywhere on the image. Below are instructions on how to create your own signature brush in Photoshop.

Image at the right shows the location of some of the commands used in the following instructions.


















...to read entire article go to her blog post.

4 comments:

Deb Booth said...

I was excited to see Joan's technique, but when I click on the links you've provided it takes me to her blog page for creating motifs - nothing about a signature brush. I must be missing something....

Thanks for all the wonderful articles you bring us - it's a treasure trove of great info.

Deb Booth
Different Light Studio
http://www.differentlightstudio.com

Deb Booth said...

I must be missing something - when I clicked on the links you provided for Joan's signature brush creation techniques, I got her blog page, set to information about creating motifs....

Thanks for all you do, sharing such wonderful information with us!

Kate Harper said...

Yipes-I repaired what I think are all the links. sorry for the error! Here's the link again: http://joanbeiriger.blogspot.com/2010/12/photoshop-tip-how-to-create-customized.html

Anonymous said...

nice