Must-See Art Documentary: Herb and Dorothy

When I first got this DVD in the mail from Netflix, Herb & Dorothy, I put off watching it for a week, because I thought "How exciting can an 'art collecting' film be?" Then one day when I was finishing a cup of tea, I finally put the DVD in the player and planned to only watch it for 10 minutes.

But once it started, I was glued to the story. I was completely moved and inspired by how a postal clerk and librarian with limited means had collected over 4,000 pieces of artwork in their tiny New York City apartment. In the 1960's they became early collectors of what later became world renowned artists, such as Sol LeWitt, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Richard Tuttle, Chuck Close, Robert Mangold, Sylvia Plimack Mangold, Lynda Benglis, Pat Steir, Robert Barry, Lucio Pozzi, and Lawrence Weiner.

Even though their collection was very valuable, they never sold a piece. They eventually donated their collection to the National Gallery in Washington D.C.


(2 minute clip)

1 comment:

krakenmosaics.com said...

I came across this documentary late one evening while channel surfing and fell in love with it. That couple is fantastic. One in a million.